Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:27:47 +0200

Cristian Gutierrez <crgutier@dcc.uchile.cl> writes:

> Silly, but improves the overall situation: I "outsourced" maildir
> access to courier-imap. Yes, running on the same machine. Gnus now
> accesses my folders via nnimap, and it ain't that bad after all;
> startup is fast, checking for new mail is fast.. only deleting one
> (or more) message in a (say) 8000-messages folder takes a little
> while (15-20 secs); in smaller folders it's unnoticeable. Moving
> between folders is always fast.

Thanks for the tip! In a private email Arne Jørgensen already
suggested the same setup: deliver read mail into a maildir, put an
IMAP server ontop of the maildir, let Gnus read mail using nnimap
instead of nnmaildir.

And I've now got that setup, and it works perfectly!  Using Dovecot
(from http://dovecot.org/) reading mails is lightning fast again.  And
because I now have an IMAP server running, I can connect to it from
anywhere and still read my mail --- my ticked articles even show up as
such when I use another Gnus instance to read my mail.

Eventually I want to put a webmail interface ontop of the IMAP server,
so that I allways have access to my mail, even I'm away from a decent
computer with Gnus installed.

--
Martin Geisler                                  My GnuPG Key: 0xF7F6B57B

PHP EXIF Library      |  PhpWeather              |  PhpShell
http://pel.sf.net/    |  http://phpweather.net/  |  http://gimpster.com/
Read/write EXIF data  |  Show current weather    |  A shell in a browser