Re: Can emacs-w3m open links in browser

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Can emacs-w3m open links in browser
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:07:56 +0900

> I'm using emacs-w3m to display HTML messages in Gnus.  I'm more or less
> satisfied with it, but there is one thing I would like it to do
> differently and I can't figure out how.

> Whenever I press enter on a link, it opens the target page in the same
> Emacs window, thus hiding the message and taking me to a HTML page I
> would rather view in my browser.  Is there a way to tell emacs-w3m to
> open all links in a browser instead of displaying them itself?

You can customize how emacs-w3m works when visiting a new page.
For example, the following configuration makes emacs-w3m pop to
a new frame up.

(setq w3m-pop-up-frames t)

See also w3m-make-new-session, w3m-pop-up-windows, w3m-use-tab
and w3m-popup-frame-parameters.

> Basically, I want the same behavior I get with Emacs buttons created in
> plain text messages.

The `M-x w3m RET' command picks up a string like url around the
cursor.  See also w3m-quick-start.  Running `M-x goto-address RET'
is another choice.

> Oh, one more question: can I tell emacs-w3m inline images, at least
> those included in the mail itself?  I'm thinking of these CID: images
> created by Outlook (yuck).  Since these images aren't real attachments,
> I can't get Gnus do display them, so I have to open these messages in an
> external (HTML-capable) mail reader.

Setting mm-inline-text-html-with-images as t will help.  I'm
using the following command instead of setting that variable,
though.

(defun gnus-summary-w3m-safe-toggle-inline-images (&optional arg)
  "Toggle displaying of all images in the article buffer.
If the prefix arg is given, all images are considered to be safe."
  (interactive "P")
  (with-current-buffer gnus-article-buffer
    (w3m-safe-toggle-inline-images arg)))

(eval-after-load "gnus-sum"
  '(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map
     "\C-i" 'gnus-summary-w3m-safe-toggle-inline-images))