Couple of (configuration?) problems.

From: Dirk Gerrits
Subject: Couple of (configuration?) problems.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:40:30 GMT

Hi,

I've been having some problems with (No) Gnus and I was hoping you guys
could help me out.  I apologize for my inferior searching skills if any
of this has come up before, but I really couldn't find it.

1.  When I mark some things as spam (M-d) in a summary buffer for an
    IMAP account, then when I exit the summary bufer (q) later on, I get
    the message "nntp does not support article copying".  If I keep
    pressing q again and again I keep getting the same message, until
    I've gotten one message for each e-mail that I marked as spam.  If I
    then press q yet one more time I finally return to the *Groups*
    buffer.

2.  My ISP and my university both provide me with newsgroups, but they
    both restrict it to IP addresses on their network.  So with my
    laptop plugged in back home, I can access news.chello.nl, but not
    news.tue.nl, and plugged in at the university it's the other way
    around.  Can I somehow configure Gnus for this situation?  I'd like
    Gnus to try news.tue.nl first, and then fall-back to news.chello.nl.
    And, ideally, I'd like it to have the same set of subscribed
    newsgroup and read articles on both news servers.  Can Gnus do this?
    Or do you know of something else I could do?

4.  When I send an e-mail, I regularly get an SMTP protocol error.  I
    can fix it by going back to the *Group* buffer, pressing g, and then
    resending the e-mail.  I think the problem is that my SMTP server
    requires me to be logged in through IMAP.  Anyway, can Gnus somehow
    do this (re)connecting for me?

5.  I can send e-mails, but not news posts.  (That's why I sent this one
    using Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Gnus.)  Pressing C-c C-c in
    something addressed to a newsgroup produces the message:

    canlock-sha1: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (object &optional
    beg end) "Return the SHA1 (Secure Hash Algorithm) of an object.
    OBJECT is either a string or a buffer.
    Optional arguments BEG and END denote buffer positions for computing
    the hash of a portion of OBJECT." (if (stringp object) (sha1-string
    object) (save-excursion (set-buffer object) (sha1-region (or beg
    (point-min)) (or end (point-max)))))), 4

By the way, I'm using GNU Emacs and No Gnus from CVS in Gentoo Linux. I've been having these problems for some time now, even though I do almost daily CVS updates and rebuilds. Version numbers are reported as GNU Emacs 21.3.50.2 and No Gnus v0.3. If you need more information, just ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Dirk Gerrits