Re: Sending mail via Gnus if Gnus is not running (?)

From: Juhapekka Tolvanen
Subject: Re: Sending mail via Gnus if Gnus is not running (?)
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:39:02 +0200

William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu> writes:

> "Tassilo Horn" <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:
>
>>> I think that Gnus' facility for sending email (the one I get if I hit
>>> the m key) is much nicer than the Emacs default via M-x mail - I can
>>> attach files, non-ASCII characters like umlauts are taken care of, and
>>> so on. However, I'm wondering how to access this functionality while
>>> Gnus is not running. Is it possible to get this from outside of Gnus
>>> somehow?

>> M-x gnus-msg-mail

> How can this function be used with GNU Emacs from a shell script?
> (Through google I found how it can be done via xemacs's "gnuclient";
> is there something like that?)

XEmacs has more advanced tool for that purpose. It is called gnuserv.
Fortunately it is ported for GNU Emacs, too:

http://meltin.net/hacks/emacs/

It is available as a Debian-package, too.

You really need to run command "gnuclient" from command line or script
to give commands for running gnuserv of your emacs.

% /usr/bin/gnuclient.emacs --help
Usage: gnuclient.emacs [-display display] [-q] [-v] [-l library]
       [-batch] [-f function] [-eval form]
       [-h host] [-p port] [-r remote-path] [[+line] file] ...

I think you should use that commandline flag -f .

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"kummaan paikkaan itsesi karkotit, syyttä syyllisten seuduille. raskaisiin