Re: NNTP spam filtering

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: NNTP spam filtering
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:53:49 -0500

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc wrote:

On Thu, Oct 28 2004, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

>> I use this a LOT with Gmane groups, which have their own special spam
>> check, and it's made my life a lot easier.  emacs-devel, especially,
>> gets way too much spam to be useful without this filtering.
>
> I don't see spam in gmane.emacs.devel since I filter on
> gmane.spam.detected using leafnode.  This should work for Gnus:
>
> ,----
> | (("xref"
> |   ("gmane.spam.detected" -1000 nil s))
> |  (mark-and-expunge -900))
> `----
>
> Is there a special reason why you don't filter in this way?

What you're describing is scoring, not spam detection.

In my setup, NNTP spam is used for bogofilter training in addition to
mail spam; bogofilter handles all my spam detection now.  This works
for all NNTP servers, not just Gmane.  Gmane groups just get the extra
xref check in addition to bogofilter checks.  I think this is better
because I read a wide mix of NNTP; the downside is that entering
groups is slow when you check each article with Bogofilter.

BTW, I just recently switched from SpamAssassin to Bogofilter.  I'm
still training Bogofilter but I like the speed and, to me as an
engineer, the 0-1 fractional scores make much more sense than the
arbitrary ranges of SA :)

Ted