Re: Basic setup of Gnus for IMAP mail

From: Roger Levy
Subject: Re: Basic setup of Gnus for IMAP mail
Date: 3 Nov 2004 10:23:08 -0800

Thanks for the response! <see below>

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> wrote in message
news:<y68acu0c8zc.fsf@contents-vnder-pressvre.mit.edu>...
> napofrog@hotmail.com (Roger Levy) writes:
>
> > I'm trying to set up Gnus to work as an IMAP mail client at home, for
> > the mail server at my university.  I think I have the basic settings
> > right:
> >
> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> >  '((nnimap ""
> >        (nnimap-address "<myname>.pobox.<my-university>.edu")
> >        (nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX")
>
> That tells Gnus that the only group you're interested in is
> nnimap:INBOX.  The default value, "*", lets it look at all of the
> groups on the server.

Yeah, I tried this too, no dice.

> >        (nnimap-stream ssl)
> >        (nnimap-server-port 993)))
> > )
> >
> > but I can't find any nnimap groups to subscribe to.
>
> Can you otherwise connect to the IMAP server?  Can you browse it from
> the server buffer ("^" from the group buffer)?

Thanks for this tip.  In the server buffer, I get

  {nnimap:} (denied)

so no, I can't browse it.

> For my work setup, all I do is set
>
>       gnus-select-method '(nnimap "smtp.example.com"
>                                   (nnimap-stream ssl))
>
> and it works great.
>
> (For just checking whether your IMAP server exists, you might try a
> different MUA.  At MIT, I'll occasionally browse my IMAP mailbox using
> mutt, but for heavy-duty reading I use Gnus with IMAP fetching into
> nnml.)

I just tried with mutt from the same machine, and there were no
problems, I could see my mailbox just fine.  The settings I'm using
for mutt are (for user jdoe):

set spoolfile=imap://jdoe.pobox.stanford.edu/INBOX
set folder=imap://jdoe.pobox.stanford.edu/INBOX
set imap_user=jdoe
set ssl_starttls=no

Thanks again,

Roger