Re: Sending mail fails silently

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Sending mail fails silently
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:20:39 +0900

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
>>
>> shows the trace of the SMTP session.  You can see it in the
>> buffer named "*trace of SMTP session to XXX*".

> Doesn't seem to work.  Perhaps it only gives a trace if the
> server actually rejects the mail?

The buffer is generated regardless of failure or a success.
Please note, the buffer name begins and ends with asterisks.
They are apt to disappear in the Gnus article buffer because of
the `gnus-treat-emphasize' variable.

>> By the way, smtpmail.el containd in Emacs 21.3 doesn't support
>> the authenticated SMTP as far as I know.

> Sounds like that may well be the problem.  Is it possible to
> graft a newer smtpmail.el on Emacs 21.3, or should I upgrade?

The version of Emacs containing the new smtpmail.el has not been
released yet.  If you don't care about a risk, please use this:

ftp://ftp.jpl.org/pub/tmp/smtpmail.el
or http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/tmp/smtpmail.el