Re: Gnus & slrnpull

From: reg
Subject: Re: Gnus & slrnpull
Date: 10 Nov 2004 16:52:52 GMT

On 2004-11-09, Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> reg <tux_powered@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Ah thank you, I didn't know about that. I will have another look at
>> leafnode and also have a look at the leafnode list.
>>
>> I can use Gnus O.K on line and can post with it, now if I can just sort
>> caching to spool   >:-)
>
> Has anyone mentioned the Gnus Agent, Gnuis built in news-slurping
> facility?!
>
> Have a look at section 6.8 of the Gnus manual - "Gnus Unplugged" - this
> may be what you are looking for.
>
> Personally I use Leafnode - it works very well, is easy enough to build,
> and has a really well-commented config file.

Thank you both for the replies.

I did a bit more googling and have made a bit of progress..

   (setq gnus-select-method ' (nnspool ""))

   (setq nnspool-spool-directory "var/spool/slrnpull/news")

   (steq nnspool-nov-directory "/var/spool/slrnpull/news/over.view")

   (setq nnspool-active-file "var/spool/slrnpull/news/data/active"

The above put into .gnus.el have now given me the ability to read from
the news spool. It seems to be working well, it is keeping track of read
and unread articles O.K

I realised when I installed emacs and gnus that I stood at the bottom of
a steep learning curve, it was a case of finding out the "magic lines"
that point gnus to the spool   >:-)

When I first set up gnus and leafnode it unfortunately coincided with my
ISP having trouble with the mail server.. this made me think that
playing with the hostname on my Debian box had messed up my mail system.
The mail server has been having problems for several days now.. will not
let me get my mail (fails with smtp error) and then later at night it
will work faultlessly  (example of sods law ? )

I will need to find a way for gnus to post via slrnpull, but at least
for now I have made progress and can do more reading.

I may well try leafnode again... especially when I know my mail system
has settled back to normal   >:-)

  Regards,
  Reg