Re: is it me or is imap support a bit problematic? (was something else..

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: is it me or is imap support a bit problematic? (was something else...)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:26:48 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> I've been using Gnus with IMAP for 3 years without any major problems.

ok, that's good to hear. makes for a good possibility that it's my own
lack of clue that's causing this. ;-)

> Copying/moving large amounts of articles between two IMAP servers is
> the only thing right now that causes me problems (the capabilities of
> the two servers get confused).

i wouldn't be doing that anyway

> Generally, when you have IMAP problems, generate a log that shows the
> problem (set imap-debug to t and look for the IMAP log buffer).

ah, thanks for the tip, i didn't know about this possibility.

>  Also,
> see if restarting Gnus versus closing, then reopening the server in
> the server buffer (`^' from the group buffer) makes a difference.

i did that already, and it doesn't make a difference. that's to say,
restarting Gnus and closing, then reopening the server both allow me to
see new messages on the server. but in both cases i only see them when i
actually enter the group.

> Your message subject is not very offensive to me (I don't work on the
> IMAP support, either), but I would have chosen milder words.

you're right, of course, and i've changed the subject.

>  We (the
> Gnus developers) appreciate positive and constructive feedback from
> the users - it's one of our main motivations for working on Gnus.

there's a lot about Gnus that i like (i wouldn't have bothered posting my
message if there weren't), but perhaps i should've said so explicitly.

anyways, i'll try your suggestion, and let you know what i find.

thanks

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments