html rendering in gnus

From: Jay Bromley
Subject: html rendering in gnus
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:35:55 -0800

Hello,

I've recently started using gnus for news and mail and have a couple of
questions about HTML rendering in mails and links.

First, I'd like to use elinks to do my HTML mail rendering. Right now I set
mm-text-html-renderer to lynx and have lynx symlinked to elinks. This is a
kludge though, as the lynx -> elinks thing is bogus and I had to edit
mm-view.el to eliminate a flag that elinks doesn't understand. I noticed there
is an option to use a user-defined function and I'd like to write a function
to use elinks with the appropriate flags, but I've no idea what this function
should look like. I (think I) have a sufficient grasp on Elisp, but I don't
know anything about what the function takes and what it should evaluate to. I
read the Gnus manual, but seemed to miss any info there might be about this.
Pointers to docs or template functions would be very much appreciated.

For the second question, my currently kludged system renders HTML fine, but I
can't click on links in mail messages and have it bring up the page in my real
browser. I'm not quite sure why, as this works great with links in news
articles. I'm a bit confused on this, as I thought gnus would treat mails and
news articles the same. Is there some other variable or hook I need to set to
get this behavior?

Thanks for any help in advance, regards.
J. Bromley                                       jbromley@bluebottle.com