Re: XEmacs, Gnus and mm-coding-system priorities.

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: XEmacs, Gnus and mm-coding-system priorities.
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:10:28 +0000

Hi! again,

 Ar an séiú lá de mí na Nollaig, scríobh Katsumi Yamaoka:

 > [...] I tried your patch with the old mm-util.el and confirmed it works.
 > However, it doesn't work with non-Latin characters:
 >
 > (let ((mm-coding-system-priorities '(shift_jis)))
 >   (rfc2047-encode-string (string (make-char 'japanese-jisx0208 38 66))))

I was wrong, I can work around this. Since latin-unity knows the list of
coding systems it can map into, we can check each entry in
mm-coding-system-priorities for validity before trying to remap with it. So,
for example, if shift_jis is in mm-coding-system-priorities, the latin unity
code should just give up, and mm-find-mime-charset falls back to the code
you had written.

I~ve a revised patch and test set (including your tests from the last mail)
attached that addresses this. I~m also going to post this to gnu.emacs.gnus
because ding@gnus evidently doesn~t like me :-) .

In terms of usability, I~m starting to feel strongly that
mm-coding-systems-priorities should be initialised to '(iso-8859-1
iso-8859-15 iso-8859-2 iso-8859-16 utf-8) for non-East-Asian
locales. Americans don~t care, but for non-English speaking Europeans the
Mule breakage just another reason not to use an Emacs.

Best regards,

        - Aidan
--
~As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and
the plain folks of the land will reach their heart~s desire at last and the