Re: XEmacs, Gnus and mm-coding-system priorities.

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: XEmacs, Gnus and mm-coding-system priorities.
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:04:08 +0900

>  Ar an séiú lá de mí na Nollaig, scríobh Katsumi Yamaoka:

>> [...] I tried your patch with the old mm-util.el and confirmed it works.
>> However, it doesn't work with non-Latin characters:
>>
>> (let ((mm-coding-system-priorities '(shift_jis)))
>>   (rfc2047-encode-string (string (make-char 'japanese-jisx0208 38 66))))

> I was wrong, I can work around this. Since latin-unity knows the list of
> coding systems it can map into, we can check each entry in
> mm-coding-system-priorities for validity before trying to remap with it. So,
> for example, if shift_jis is in mm-coding-system-priorities, the latin unity
> code should just give up, and mm-find-mime-charset falls back to the code
> you had written.

That's good.  I also vaguely thought it might be possible.

> I've a revised patch and test set (including your tests from the last mail)
> attached that addresses this. I'm also going to post this to gnu.emacs.gnus
> because ding@gnus evidently doesn't like me :-) .

Too bad.  Maybe the administrator is taking a winter vacation?
Anyway, thank you for the new patch.  I wish we could merge it
by the time Gnus v5.10.7 is released.

> In terms of usability, I'm starting to feel strongly that
> mm-coding-systems-priorities should be initialised to '(iso-8859-1
> iso-8859-15 iso-8859-2 iso-8859-16 utf-8) for non-East-Asian
> locales. Americans don't care, but for non-English speaking Europeans the
> Mule breakage just another reason not to use an Emacs.

Currently the default value for `mm-coding-systems-priorities'
is non-nil only in the Japanese language environments, which is
done by examining the value for `current-language-environment'.
Is it able to set `(iso-8859-1 iso-8859-15 ...)' by the same
way?  If so, do you know those language names?