Re: How do you say "gnus"?

From: David Hanak
Subject: Re: How do you say "gnus"?
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:00:30 -0600

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, David Sumbler wrote:

> I've just started using Gnus - it's great, although I've only
> scratched the surface yet.

Welcome!  I hope you'll soon find it as indispensable as we do.

> Now for the trivial question: how do you say "Gnus"?  Is it pronounced
> like "News", or do the cognoscienti pronounce it in some other way?

It is pronounced like news indeed, the G is silent.

> For that matter, how do people usually say "Emacs"?  I say "Ee-macs",
> but perhaps it should be "Em-axe".

AFAIK, ee-max is the appropriate pronounciation.  Just for the record,
us Hungarian users often read it phonetically (Hungarian is a phonetical
language) and pronounce it something like eh-much.

> I've realized that most people seem to say "Line-ux" for what I think
> of as "Linn-ux".  I suppose none of it matters much, especially if I
> never get to talk to anyone about these things!

Again, linn-ooks is the "official", original pronounciation, but English
speakers often say it as line-ux, which is also accepted.  (Perhaps
linn-ooks has a slightly snobbish tinge to it, as in the case of "vase"
- vuh-ze vs. vay-ze.)

Happy new year to all of you out there!

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer