Re: Checking mail

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Checking mail
Date: 03 Jan 2005 22:49:17 +0000

gnalle@ruc.dk (Niels L. Ellegaard) writes:

> David Sumbler <david@aeolia.co.uk> writes:
>
> > It seems to be working OK, but in the Group buffer all my mail groups
> > appear with an asterisk instead of the number of unread messages (I am
> > using the default gnus-group-line-format).  And the line appears in
> > cyan instead of grey like all my newsgroups.
> >
> > Also, when I press 'g' to to get new "articles" only proper newsgroups
> > are updated, not the mail groups.  The only way I seem to be able to
> > get the actual number of unread e-mails to show in the Group buffer is
> > to enter then quit each group in turn.
>
> The following is a wild guess: I once had a somewhat similar
> problem. This problem occured because I had lowered the level of the
> nnfolder group to 5.
>
> www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_25.html
>
> I am not sure if this is the reason for your problems, but at least
> it's worth a try :)

No - as I said in my second post, all my groups are at level 3 (except
that I have now made my 'personal' inbox level 1).  And if I specify a
level (e.g. M-5 g) it works OK.  But I'd like Gnus to check the
nnfolder servers on start-up and when I just press 'g', and I don't
understand why it doesn't.

This is a minor irritation I haven't found an explanation for.
Meanwhile, I'm gradually getting Gnus set up just as I want it.  I
love it!  Printing a hard-copy of the manual has been a great help to
me, but not to the rain-forests.

David