Re: HTML display

From: Andrew A. Raines
Subject: Re: HTML display
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 08:56:44 -0600

David Sumbler <david@aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> When I view a message which has a Content-Type header
> showing that it is HTML, I see the HTML, rather than the
> "washed" version.
>
> If I press "W h", I get "Can't open load file: w3".
> Well, that's not really surprising: I don't have w3.

A lot of people prefer emacs-w3m[1].  It makes
web-browsing much more pleasant in Emacs, plus it renders
HTML very well as plain text in Gnus.

Once you have it installed, activate it with this in your .gnus:

  (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
  (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
  (setq mm-inline-text-html-renderer 'mm-inline-text-html-render-with-w3m)

I also like to set gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing.  It
allows me to hit b to switch between text/plain and
text/html when viewing a multipart message.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/, or look for the w3m-el
     and w3m-el-common packages for Fedora.

--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)

``It took me like three hours to finish the shading on
your upper lip.''
                        --Napoleon Dynamite