Re: Can't get expiry to work

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Can't get expiry to work
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:13:00 +0000

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On 15 jan 2005, David Sumbler wrote:
>
>> Now that I use Gnus, I have put
>>
>> ((total-expire . t)
>> (expiry-wait . 31))
>>
>> Have I misunderstood something? I expected any mails with a
>> date more than a month ago, and certainly any that I
>> specifically marked with an "E", to be deleted. Or does it work
>> from the date they arrived in the folder, which I only created
>> a few days ago?
>
> My understanding is that, Gnus only expires articles he knows of.
> That is to say, only articles processed more than 31 days ago by
> Gnus will be expired (I may be wrong). Internally, Gnus holds
> data coupled by a timestamp which in turn may be used for
> expiring (Try 'G p' on the group buffer and you will see whqat I
> am saying).

So that means that all the older stuff will disappear in about 3 weeks
time, and thereafter it will behave as I want it to.  That's fine!

'G p' only shows me the two lines I wrote (see above), so I don't
quite understand what you mean.

>> Incidentally, is there a way of getting Gnus to mark all
>> incoming mails to this folder as read?
>
> None I know, but you can catch-up the group by saying c in the
> group buffer with the point over the group.

Yes, I know this key-binding.  I suppose it might be possible to do
what I want by writing a hook, but Im not sure that I'm quite up to
that yet.

Thanks for your help.

David

--

David Sumbler

Please reply to the newsgroup.

However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".