Re: configuring gnus-agent to download everything

From: Mark Thomas
Subject: Re: configuring gnus-agent to download everything
Date: 17 Jan 2005 19:38:39 -0500

> Mark Thomas <mthomas@cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > I'm running Gnus 5.10.6 in XEmacs 21.4.15 inside of X11 on Mac OSX 10.3.7.

> > I run gnus-unpluggeed, then type J j in the *Group* buffer to connect;
> > I type J s to synchronize with the server, and then g to get new
> > mail.  At this point, I would like it if all the new mail were on my
> > local machine, and to be able to disconnect and the read mail.
>
> You need to press J s again to synchronize the newly fetched mail with
> the local cache.  Syncing doesn't happen automatically.

Thanks, this is what I was missing.  I thought the 'J s' would also
check for new mail; I didn't realize I had to do that as a separate
step.

Things are mostly working now, though the overview file is becoming
corrupt, so I have to re-generate it.

I have recently started using the agent after years of avoiding it.  I
just agentized an IMAP server that wasn't previously, and I had some
files that were cached on the local disk (in the
gnus-cache-directory).  These files seem to be causing the .overview
file in the News/agent/imap/server-name/INBOX directory to become
corrupt.  I see entries where article numbers have obviously been
concatenated; I get messsages about duplicate entries and the overview
file not being sorted.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Mark