Re: Topic-wise subscription of new newsgroups

From: Reiner Steib
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:10:52 +0100

On Tue, Mar 08 2005, Stefan Kamphausen wrote:

>         (from ".* <?\\(.+\\)@office-address.example.*" "mail.office.\\1")
[...]
> However, whenever I receive an email of a new colleague (which has no
> group associated) I can only see the new group when I do a
> gnus-find-new-newsgroups manually.  But I'd like them so show up
> immediately.

Did you try this suggestion from the manual?

`----

> My preferred approach would be to use:
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("^nnml.*"
>          (gnus-show-threads nil)
>          (gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'always))
>        ))
>
> And while the first setting (gnus-show-threads) is working fine (which
> tells me that the matcher works) the second does nothing.

Finding and subscribing new newsgroups is done at startup or by using
the function `gnus-find-new-newsgroup'.  I wouldn't expect that
`gnus-check-new-newsgroups' makes any sense in context of specific
groups or topics.

> I tried this in group and topic parameters (using G p and G c), too,
> but to no avail.
>
> I found the possibility for "always" only in the info file (how do you
> always add these nice boxes??) while it is not in the docstring.

Like the one above?

,----[ C-h f rs-info-boxquote RET ]
| rs-info-boxquote is an interactive Lisp function in `rs-info'.
| (rs-info-boxquote &optional USE-LIST)
|
| Yank text (from an info node), box it and use current info node as title.
| If USE-LIST, the title is taken from `rs-info-title-alist'
| depending on the current newsgroup.
`----

See: http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/rs-info.el

Bye, Reiner.