Re: Topic-wise subscription of new newsgroups

From: Tim McNamara
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:35:42 -0600

Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
>> I use this and can see the groups created for the split-out mail
>> immediately:
>>
>>      (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>>         (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>>           '(| ("to" "internet-bob@bikelist\\.org" "iBOB")
>>               ("to" "rbw@bikelist\\.org" "Rivendell")
>>               ("to" "port-mac68k@netbsd\\.org" "NetBSD")
>>               ("to" "timmcn@bitstream\\.net" "Inbox")
>>                "mail.misc"))
>>
>> One can of course split on the "from" header as well.  I wonder- do
>> you have the expression
>>
>>      (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
>>
>> in your .gnus?  Perhaps you're getting an odd effect from missing
>> that?
>
> Yes, I have that setting, otherwise the splitting wouldn't work at
> all, right?  So I suppose it must be due to other settings that your
> newly created groups show up immediately.

When I get to Gnus's Groups buffer after launching Gnus and it does
the select and split processes, the mailboxes are visible just like
all the NNTP newsgroups I am subscribed to.  As far as I can tell,
this is the default behavior.

> Do you use topic- or group-parameters?

No, other than what you see in the split rules.  I don't know how
to use those things and this works well enough for my needs.

> What did you set the variables
> gnus-check-new-newsgroups
> gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method

I didn't.  They are whatever is the default- I like to keep it as
simple as I can, to match my rather simple knowledge of Lisp, Emacs
and Gnus.  What Gnus are you using and which backend for mail?  I am
using 5.10.6 and nnml.

Here's my whole .gnus in case it helps or offers some clue:

(setq user-full-name "Tim McNamara")
(setq user-mail-address "timmcn@bitstream.net")

(setq gnus-agent nil)

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.isp.com"))

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(eval-after-load "mail-source"
 '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.isp.com"
                                   :user "uuuuuuuuuu"
                                   :password "xxxx")))
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.isp.com")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("smtp.isp.com" 25 "uuuuuuuuuu" "xxxxx")))

(setq gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news t)

;;Not currently using spam.el but hope to someday
;;once I understand the configuration
;;(setq spam-use-stat t)
;;(spam-initialize)

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
   (setq nnmail-split-fancy
     '(| ("to" "internet-bob@bikelist\\.org" "iBOB")
         ("to" "rbw@bikelist\\.org" "Rivendell")
         ("to" "port-mac68k@netbsd\\.org" "NetBSD")
         ("to" "timmcn@bitstream\\.net" "Inbox")
         ;;(: spam-split)
         "mail.misc"))

(setq nnmail-crosspost nil)

(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
      "mail.misc\\|Inbox\\|iBOB\\|NetBSD\\|Rivendell")