Re: Creating nnmaildir

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: Creating nnmaildir
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:47:09 -0500

Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
> I am trying to create an nnmaildir group that will read mail from
> ~/Mail/spam.
>
> However when I try to create the group using "G m" gnus keeps telling me
> "Couldn't create group on server:" (IIRC)

You need to create a select method first.  Maybe something like:
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/nnmaildir")))

Create that directory, and create a symlink inside it pointing to the
~/Mail/spam maildir.  Then you should be able to run Gnus and
subscribe to the group.  See the "Maildir" node in the manual for more
details.

> When searcing this topic on google i stuble over postings talking about
> symlinks? Could anybody please explain this to me?

The nnmaildir server's directory should contain maildirs, or symlinks
to maildirs.  If you prefer, you can move the ~/Mail/spam maildir into
the nnmaildir directory, but then you'll also have to change any
references to it in other places.

paul