Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:31:39 +0200

steinab@ifi.uio.no (Steinar Børmer) writes:

> I have no idea since `/ N' behaves like it should for me.  If new
> messages have arrived, they are inserted and the rest of the *Summary*
> buffer is unchanged.  If no new messages have arrived, gnus responds
>
> "No gnus is bad news".
>
> The *Summary* buffer is not changed at all.
>
> Are you certain you haven't set any variables that influence this?

Maybe it's backend specific (?) I checked that function/key some time ago
on nnimap backends, but it didn't seem to work. Checked again now, and this
time it does, i.e. /N really fetches new articles from my imap server
without completely rebuilding the summary buffer. Cool so far.

On the other hand, the following snippet from the info manual

 `/ N'
     Insert all new articles in the summary buffer.  It scans for new
     emails if BACK-END`-get-new-mail' is non-`nil'.

is somehow confusing since I've never set nnimap-get-new-mail, nor is it
referenced in any of the Gnus lisp files. So could be some backends need it
and others not. Maybe setting that variable changes the /N behavior for OP?

Regards, Bruno.