Re: Migrating IMAP (nnimap) servers?

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: Re: Migrating IMAP (nnimap) servers?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:03:04 +0200

Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Suppose I read email using foreign nnimap groups to some server, and
> that I know the server's going to be changed.  What can I do about
> that in order to improve my chances of not losing stuff?  (Let's
> suppose that if the administrators offer to move existing email, that
> they can accurately move IMAP tags and things.)
>
> The manual covers changing nntp servers, but I don't see any similar
> advice on moving IMAP servers.  Is that because gnus doesn't really
> cache much, so it all just works?
>
> (I guess one thing I'll do regardless is make copies of email in nnml
> folders, just in case.)

I'm not totally sure, so additional comments are welcome, but afaik all
the marks Gnus maintains locally for news are stored as imap flags on
the server, like read, seen, ticked and even dormant (might depend on
your Gnus version, though). So just switching servers should go alright
without further actions in this regard, if the flags are migrated, too.

What I'm not sure about is what to do with possibly cached articles.
Maybe somebody else can tell more?

Regards, Bruno.