thanks, but new problem: utf-8 on a virtual text console

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: thanks, but new problem: utf-8 on a virtual text console
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:02:28 +0200

* steinab@ifi.uio.no (Steinar Børmer) schrieb:

> | Is this an euro sign? €
> |
> | Are these the Swedish special characters? å ä ö
> | The German Umlaute? ä ö ü
> | The German "sharp S"? ß
> | The Icelandic th-sounds (thorn and eth)? þ ð
> | The French Accents? é è ê
> | and French cédille? ç
> | The Spanish tilde? ñ
> | An apostrophe?  it's an apostrophe
>
> These look just fine here.  =)

Thanks. So it appears to work.

Unfortunately, once _one_ problem is solved, the next one is waiting at
the door. ;-)

With my utf-8 settings for using gnus with gnome-terminal, I get a
complete mess when running emacs or gnus in a virtual text
console. Somehow I can't get it to use utf-8. If someone knows about a
way to change this or - alternatively - can tell me how to write an
entry in .emacs to switch between coding systems if emacs is used on a
text console in contrast to a terminal under X Window, please let me
know.

Something like:
if text console -> then use iso-8859-15
if X Window -> then use utf-8

Sorry, but I know close to nothing about lisp statements and such things.

Perhaps a hierarchy of coding systems (preferences of iso-8859-15, then
utf-8, then iso-8859-1 etc.) would also do... But I am clueless as to
how to achieve this.

Regards
Peter