gnus fails authenticating, fails to get get mail

From: ken
Subject: gnus fails authenticating, fails to get get mail
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 15:24:30 -0400

Relevant part of ~/.emacs:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.server.net")
(require 'starttls)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("mail.server.net" 25 "userid" "password")))
(setq user-full-name "name")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)

Doing M-x gnus gives this in *Messages*:

----------------------------------
Reading /home/ken/.newsrc.eld...
Opening nntp server on news...
Denied server

Reading active file from private via nnml...
Opening nnml server on private...

nnml: Reading incoming mail from imap...
imap: Connecting to mail.server.net...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect
%s:%p'...done
Waiting for response from mail.server.net...done
imap: Connecting to mail.server.net...done
imap: Plaintext authentication...
nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file from private via nnml...done
Opening nntp server on news...
Denied server

Checking new news...
Opening nndraft server...

Checking new news...done

I'm certain that the protocols specified are correct, including TLS
(because I've been using them with Mozilla for months).

Since TLS is specified, gnus shouldn't be attempting to authenticate
plaintext.

Though *Messages* says it read incoming mail, but that there isn't any,
I know for certain that there's six unread emails there.

What is the nndraft server?