Re: Editing from Draft

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Editing from Draft
Date: 10 May 2005 13:52:13 +0100

  Reiner> On Mon, May 09 2005, Phillip Lord wrote:
  >> If I do "D e" (`gnus-draft-edit-message') in the draft group I
  >> get article mode with editing enabled. This seems odd to me
  >> because I am used to writing email in message mode.
  >>
  >> Is it possible to get back to message mode?

  Reiner> This should be the default behavior.  If you are using Gnus
  Reiner> 5.9 as your header indicates, `D e' should call
  Reiner> `gnus-draft-edit-message' whereas `e' calls
  Reiner> `gnus-summary-edit-article'.  In 5.10, `e' runs
  Reiner> `gnus-draft-edit-message', too:

  Reiner> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") ] | * In draft groups, `e'
  Reiner> is now bound to `gnus-draft-edit-message'.  | Use `B w' for
  Reiner> `gnus-summary-edit-article' instead.  `----

  Reiner> What does `C-h k D e' print for you in the drafts group?

Hmmm. Strangeness.

I am using 21.4.1 out of the box, which makes Gnus 5.9.  For me, D e
is not bound to anything at all, although D is bound to...

D runs the command gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
(gnus-summary-mark-as-read-backward N)

Mark the N articles as read backwards.
The difference between N and the actual number of articles marked is
returned.

More over gnus-draft-edit-message is not autoloaded. I have to load
gnus-draft manually.

I've had a look through the code base. gnus-draft-mode-map appears
correct, and defines the keys. But I have no "drafts" menu appearing
as I should have.

A bit more picking about tells me that the reason for this is because
gnus-draft-mode is off, which is where all these commands come from.

If I run M-x gnus-draft-mode in the drafts summary buffer then all
works correctly (although obvious I still have to use D e, rather than
just e).

I presume that this is supposed to happen automatically? It's entirely
feasible that some of my extensive .emacs is causing the problem
here, so if it should work, I'll have a poke around and try to find
out why not.

Cheers

Phil