Re: Gnus + Imap

From: Jean Magnan de Bornier
Subject: Re: Gnus + Imap
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 08:14:11 +0200

Xavier PESSOLES <pessoles@crans.org> wrote :

> Hi
>
> I would like to read mail on my server with gnus.
> I have installed dovecot on my computer and I use procmail to sort my
> mail in ~/Mail and other subfolders.
>
> I don't managed to find the good option of .gnus file to read my
> mails.
> Somebody could help me ?
>
> (i have these lines on my .emacs :
> ;; Definit Gnus comme lecteur courriel
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or  cut/paste it!
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  '(load-home-init-file t t)
>  '(message-directory "~/Mail/")
you should change this, this is your imap folder, gnus should not use it
>  '(read-mail-command (quote gnus))))
> )

Here is a minimal example of what you need:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "YOUR NNTP SERVER"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE"
(nnimap-address "YOUR IMAP SERVER")
(nnimap-server-port 143); not necessary as this port is the default
(nnimap-authinfo-file "/home/user/.authinfo") ;useful if you want
automatic authentication
)))
Then you will have to subscribe to the boxes procmail has created with "U"
(when connected to your server)
hth,
--
  Jean Magnan de Bornier             |        Cours Victor Hugo
  e-mots: jean at bornier.net        |        13980 Alleins   France