Re: Strange charset selection when posting in iso-8859-1

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Strange charset selection when posting in iso-8859-1
Date: 05 Sep 2005 13:21:11 +0200

Reiner Steib writes:

 >> The problem started to appear after I added
 >>
 >> (setq-default enable-multibyte-characters nil)
 >>
 >> to my ~/.emacs file. Now, I don't want multi-byte mode
 >> enabled,
 >
 > Why?

Because I had lots of trouble with Emacs choosing weird
encodings for _all_ kind of files when I had it enabled.

 > Gnus doesn't work correctly in unibyte mode, AFAIK.

Well, using the proper charset identifiers as defined in
RFC1521 would fix the problem for me, as far as I can tell.
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. What is the
rationale behind a choice like "latin1-iso-8859-1"? Isn't
that a pleonasm anyway?

Peter