Re: problems reading IMAP mail

From: David Nash
Subject: Re: problems reading IMAP mail
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:42:07 +1000

Thanks again for both follow-up responses.

I have followed Reiner's suggestion about gnus, and the loading of the mail into Gnus is indeed smoother now. However, the mode line has "-ephemeral" appended to the name of the mail INBOX Group; and also when I issue a M-g (in the Gnus summary buffer) I still get an error "Ephemeral groups can't be reselected" -- so I don't know how to get new mail.

In the mean time, I have tried to follow another line of suggestions from a local friend, and have taken http://gray.gnu.org.ua/software/emacs/rmail-1.el which is linked from in the middle of http://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/mailutils.html, prompted by the comment "The improved rmail.el, taking advantage of all the features provided by our movemail should become available with the next version of GNU Emacs. In the meanwhile its code is available from Sergey Poznyakoff's site."

I byte-compiled it and loaded it OK. I issue "ESC-0 g" and at the prompt "Get new mail from file: ~/ " I point it at imap://<username>@<mailhost> (cf. defun rmail-parse-url at line 193) And I presume I'll need to install at least movemeail from the GNU mail utilities (not that I know how to do this...)

Matthias Buelow:
 Hmm.. you cannot install some stuff in your home directory?
Yes, I can -- but am wary of having to instal and maintain stuff I don't really understand.

Anyway, if this enhancement to RMAIL can be got working I reckon it will be the best way out of my problem -- I can just keep using RMAIL as I was (and don't need to keep trying to make gnus work).

David