Re: configuring rmail in emacs to download pop email from gmail

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: configuring rmail in emacs to download pop email from gmail
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:46:35 +0000

  R> I'm using the emacs 21.4 and rmail to try and fetch my email from
  R> my gmail account using their pop.gmail.com server.  It doesn't
  R> work.  I've set the MAILSERVER and usernames correctly, but I
  R> think there is a problem with the fact that gmail uses ssl.  Has
  R> anyone successfully set up rmail to get gmail?

  R> here are my config lines in my .emacs file:

  R> (defconst user-mail-address "mymail@gmail.com") (setenv
  R> "MAILHOST" "pop.gmail.com") (setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
  R>        '("po:mymail@gmail.com") rmail-pop-password-required t)

  R> Any help?

As far as I can tell, the pop support for emacs, won't do SSL
encrypted transport which gmail requires. This is a pity; it does work
for imap for instance.

So, I don't think this is going to work for you. You would need to use
fetchmail or something similar to get the mail locally, then use emacs
to use that.

Phil