Re: Group subscribe tab-completion

From: xyblor
Subject: Re: Group subscribe tab-completion
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:44:13 -0400

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> xyblor <fake@invalid.email> writes:
>> Shouldn't the newsrc.eld file save a list of all the available
>> newsgroups, so I don't have to read the whole active file every time?
>
> Saving the entire list of groups is a very expensive (in bandwidth and
> storage space) thing to do because there are tens of thousands of
> groups known to large installations; far too heavy a cost to outweigh
> the small benefit of the very occasional time that one really wants
> that list.  (Even on my small server, the active file is half a
> megabyte.)

I'm not proposing to download the entire active file every time I
start gnus, I just want to save it once so that tab-completion
works. I thought that was how it's supposed to work; then any new
groups added to the server would be added to the list in .newsrc
according to gnus-check-new-newsgroups.

This arrangement should use *less* bandwidth, since I would only
download the list once, instead of every time I want to browse it.

I'm confused about all this; maybe I'll look in the "Agent" menu,
since it seems like I'm trying to do something "unplugged". Thanks for
the tip about server mode.