Binary capability in Gnus

From: Aaron Hsu
Subject: Binary capability in Gnus
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:52:16 -0500

I have Gnus running quite well on my system, mostly for IMAP email and
lot's of little text newsgroups. However, I occassionally venture into
binary newsgroups for one reason or another. I find that I am often
trying to find one particular file or item, and there are so many binary
newsgroups, I find it hard to know where to find which ones. Can someone
provide some advice on the most effecient way to search through multiple
binary groups for a specific file?

As well, can someone point me to some documentation on how Gnus works
with binary files and how it decodes them? I have never used Gnus for
binary files, so I don't know where to start. Some information on Yenc
files would be good. Also, I notice a lot of binary files are encoded in
RAR format, but are split and not one single file. What is the best way
to decompress these files on Linux? I know that some newsreaders do the
combining and unarchiving automatically, but I did not see anything in
the Gnus manual that would hint to it being able to do that.

--
Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> Jabber: arcfide@xmpp.us
<http://www.sacrificumdeo.net> "Extend beyond the Mortal . . . ."