Re: indicate email has attachment in summary buffer

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Re: indicate email has attachment in summary buffer
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:13:51 +0200

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I have just completed a project with 4 people based on emails. I
> almost missed an important file attached in an email. That's how I
> found an indicator of attachment in gnus summary line will be
> practically useful.
>
> It happened like this.
> The message, as we always include the original, became very long. And
> the attachment in gnus is shown at the end of the article buffer that
> I missed it.
>
> So I'm wondering is there any way I can have an indicator in the
> summary line for emails that have attachment. For example something
> like this will be useful:
>
> O +|31-Jul| Hadron Quark    | 160|@● Always show 20 posts
>
> The '@' at the beginning of the subject indicates attachment.

Yes, this is possible, however it isn't easy, you have to write some
lisp to do it: See the Gnus manual node

3.1.1 Summary Buffer Lines

there you'll find

`u'
     User defined specifier.  The next character in the format string
     should be a letter.  Gnus will call the function
     `gnus-user-format-function-X', where X is the letter following
     `%u'.  The function will be passed the current header as argument.
     The function should return a string, which will be inserted into
     the summary just like information from any other summary specifier.

Now you "only" have to write a function which takes the header and
searches for "Content-Type: multipart/mixed". If it is found your
function returns an "@", otherwise it returns a " ". This should be
really easy for someone who knows some lisp. (Rainer? :-))

Greetings,
Frank

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough