Re: smtpmail, starttls authentication

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: smtpmail, starttls authentication
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:54:06 +0100

>>>>> "AL" == Adrian Lanz <lanz@wsl.ch> writes:

  AL> Uuups, cygwin under NT Emacs?

Yes. I am not using cygwin emacs, but am using cygwin gnutls. I
realise that this can sometimes cause bad things to happen; however,
it works successfully with ssh, svn, cvs and ssl so I thought it would
be worth a try.

  AL> This is, how I made things work (I think, I posted a note on the
  AL> cygwin list, a couple of months ago):

  AL> Under MS-Windows you may have to adapt virus checkers. My McAfee
  AL> VirsuScan engine prevents sending out mail messages on port 25
  AL> by default. There is an exception list, where some common MUAs
  AL> are listed, but you have to add emacs.exe to allow sending out
  AL> mail messages from within emacs. Before fine-tuning your
  AL> configuration, try first by just deactivating the virus scanner.

This is a good idea, but I am afraid it's not the case here. I can
send via port 25 and have even contacted the SMTP server that I am
trying to use (cause I can read the trace of the connection).

The background is this -- via wired connections I can connect to the
smtpmail without tls. Our wonderful system people here, however, when
using the wireless connection do not allow this -- we have to use tls,
tunnelled through VPN, which is rather belts and braces. But there you
have it.

So I can send mail, just not when I am using the wireless.

Phil