Re: gnus is freezing right after startup

From: William Warren
Subject: Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:29:56 -0500

Slackat wrote:
Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William
Warren).net"> writes:

Thanks for reading this. I have a problem with gnus freezing right
after I start it. I get a message that says "Loading
gnus-start...done", but then emacs stops responding. [snip]

I wonder if reviewing the gnus/emacs message buffer might help him?
F10 b m

I started emacs with the --no-site-file and no-init-file options, set NNTPSERVER with a setenv command inside emacs, and then started gnus.

This time, it gave this error:

        NNTP (news) open error: ''. Continue? (y or n)

I answered "y", and got a message saying that

        Gnus auto-save file exists. Do you want to read it? (y or n)

I answered "y", and got a message "Checking new news", and then was in the Group buffer, with a message saying "No more unread messages". I was able to subscribe to a newgroup, but when I tried to open it, I get an
error that says:

        Couldn't open server.

I entered F10 b m, and got this report:

        (emacs -q --no-site-file)
        For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
        Debug on Quit enabled
         [2 times]
        Wrote /home/bill/.newsrc-dribble

        Reading /home/bill/.newsrc.eld...
        Opening nntp server on news...
        Denied server

        Opening nntp server on news...
        Denied server

        Checking new news...
        Opening nndraft server...

        Checking new news...done
        Retrieving newsgroup: gnu.emacs.gnus...
        Opening nntp server on news...
        Denied server

        gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't open server

After that, I changed the .authinfo file to use a different login ID, but gnus just stalled at the "Loading gnus-start...done" point again. When I restored the .authinfo file to it's original state, gnus _still_ stalled at the "Loading gnus-start...done" point, but emacs didn't hang this time: I could kill the gnus buffer with Cntl-x k.

All suggestions welcome, and thanks again for your help.

William

">