Re: Gnus fails to reconnect to IMAP server after idle timeout

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: Re: Gnus fails to reconnect to IMAP server after idle timeout
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:00:51 -0800

kai@emptydomain.de (Kai "=?utf-8?Q?Gro=C3=9Fjohann?=") writes:

> After some idle time, my IMAP server (Cyrus IMAP4
> v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1+sarge2) times out connections.

I notice the exact same problem connecting to a Courier-IMAP
server. If I hit `1 g' to check my mail after the server has been idle
for about a minute, Gnus notices the connection is dead, but then asks
if I want to go offline. I then have to answer no and try a more
forceful mail check attempt with `M-g' on the IMAP group, or go to the
Server buffer, close the server, and reopen it.

For what it's worth, this IMAP server's select method contains

  (nnimap-stream starttls)

which may influence how connections are opened and unexpected closes
are detected.

--
Steven E. Harris