Re: Suggestion: Describe in Gnus manuall on how to allow multiple IMAP a

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Describe in Gnus manuall on how to allow multiple IMAP accounts in same server
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:51:24 +1100

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> It's not clear in Gnus manual how to use multiple accounts in same IMAP
> server. My company emails are hosted by virtual hosting server, and I
> have my personal account while at the same time I need read some common
> email accounts. I think it's common for many users.
>
> I struggled for some time and found the solution.
>
> Say nnimap address is imap.mysite.com
> Two accounts: one@mysite.com & other@mysite.com
>
> Two .authinfo files are needed to seperate the auth otherwise only the
> first one with imap address imap.mysite.com is used for authentication
> of both accounts.
>
> So the setting should be:
>         (nnimap "one-mysite"
>                      (nnimap-server-port 143)
>                      (nnimap-address "imap.mysite.com")
>                      (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*"))
>                      (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.emacs.d/.authinfo"))
>         (nnimap "other-mysite"
>                      (nnimap-server-port 143)
>                      (nnimap-address "imap.mysite.com")
>                      (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*"))
>                      (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.emacs.d/.authinfo2"))
>
> I think I need not bother to demonstrate two .authinfo files here.
>
> The right location to add this is `nnimap-authinfo-file under "6.5 IMAP"
> in Gnus manual, something like:
>
> If you have more than one account under same IMAP server, you need use
> one .authinfo for each account, and explicitly configure each imap
> account to point to them. blah blah

Can I suggest you write this information up and submit it as an addition/update
to the gnus manual. It is only through users making submissions of this type we
can hope to see a positive evolution of the gnus manual. alternatively, but not
as good, you could add this information to a relevant page in the emacs wiki
(http://www.emacswiki.org/)

regards,

Tim

--