Re: How to manually download new mail with nnml-get-new-mail set to nil?

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: How to manually download new mail with nnml-get-new-mail set to nil?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:16:34 +0900

    John> Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@mb3.seikyou.ne.jp> writes:
    >> I did not find any command relevant to downloading mail
    >> manually on demand, so I am at the moment using the above
    >> variable set to nil on gnus startup and then switch it to t
    >> when I want to download mail, and then switch it back to nil
    >> again. Not very elegant!

    John> It sounds like you might want to use group levels. You can
    John> set your mail groups at one level and your news groups at
    John> another level. I'm not positive you can set the mail groups
    John> at a level such that they don't get checked on startup, but
    John> I think so.

    John> See (info "(gnus)Group Levels").

Hello John,

I tried  to do  this, and  set the Mail  groups all  the 4  while news
groups are set to 3. Then, with  "C-u 3 g" I expected to only look for
articles in groups with setting  of 3 or lower. Nevertheless, mail was
downloaded regardless, sadly.

Should this be the expected behaviour? In other words, in this
instance gnus does not treat mail the same as newsgroups (I am using
gnus to fetch mail from my POP server). If I set the variable
nnml-get-new-mail to nil, then I find I cannot get new mail, even
with the M-g command. Very confusing!

So I am still using David Maze's suggestion of a command to reset this
variable whenever I want to download or avoid downloading mail!

If anyone has other ideas, please let me know here, I am thinking
surely others have resolved this problem - in other words, I think I
am missing something obvious.
--
G Hassenpflug