Re: Dovecot not liking .authinfo?

From: Jim Crossley
Subject: Re: Dovecot not liking .authinfo?
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:15:04 -0500

Ok, I figured it out...

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

>>> I'm trying out a dovecot imap server, and gnus simply will not
>>> authenticate to it with what's in ~/.authinfo.  It prompts me every
>>> time!  The perms are correct, and it works with other imap servers.

[...]

> It's working just fine for me.  The problem with dovecot is that
> it's hyper-configurable. :) This is what I have in my .authinfo:

It wasn't a dovecot problem at all.  It seems that if you specify
'port' in .authinfo, you must also set nnimap-server-port in .gnus.el,
regardless of whether you're using the standard imap port.

So given this in .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "dovecot"
                (nnimap-address "dovecot")
                )
        (nnimap "courier"
                (nnimap-address "courier")
                (nnimap-server-port 143)
                )
        )
       )

My .authinfo:

machine courier port 143 login jim password ......
machine dovecot port 143 login jim password ......

The courier box never prompted me for un/pw, but the dovecot box
always did.  I fixed the problem by simply removing "port 143" from
the dovecot line in .authinfo.  I could've also fixed it by adding
(nnimap-server-port 143) in .gnus.el.  They just have to agree, I
think.

Thanks for the quick replies,
Jim