Question about sending E-mail using Gmail

From: Wada Yusuke
Subject: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:58:37 +0900

Dear users of gnus,

Hello, my name is Wada Yusuke.

I have a question about gnus.

There is a probrem in sending an E-mail
through SMTP server of Gmail.

I am using gnus-5.10.6.
I do not use 5.10.8 because there occures error
in compiling it.

When I try to send an E-mail by typing C-c C-c
in the screen of editing message,
there appears some messages in mini-buffer,
and finally comes this message:

"Sending failed; SMTP protocol error."

Sending process looks stopping here,
and the editing screen keeps its appearance,
in other words, headers and main context of the mail.
It does not come back to screen of folders.

However, the sending becomes successfull.
I can receive the messages from my main POP account,
to which I sent the E-mail through this process.

What I hope is that the message can be sent successfully
with no problem by typing C-c C-c and that the screen
comes back to showing folders.

Here I present my .gnus file:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news-est.ocn.ad.jp"))

(setq user-mail-address "yooskay@gmail.com")
(setq user-full-name "Wada Yusuke")
(setq gnus-local-domain "ocn.ne.jp")
(setq message-user-organization "OCN")

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))

(setq mail-sources
   '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
          :port 995
          :user "yooskay@gmail.com"
          :password "********"
          :stream ssl)))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtp-service 587)
(setq smtp-use-sasl t)
(setq smtp-use-starttls t)
(setq smtp-sasl-user-name "yooskay@gmail.com")

Here I present versions of softwares related to this issue.

Vine Linux 2.1
emacs 20.7.2
gnus 5.10.6
apel 10.7
flim 1.14.8
semi 1.14.6
starttls 0.10

If someone knows some ideas about my problem,
please tell me your advise.

Thank you.

Wada Yusuke
Asia