Re: Problem with archive group

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Problem with archive group
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:50:30 +0900

> some days  ago I  changed my  archive group from  nnfolder to  nnml with
> these lines in .gnus

> (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
>                                        (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
>                                        (nnml-active-file
> "~/Mail/archive/active")
>                                        (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
>                                        (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>        '((if (message-news-p)
>            "misc-news"
>            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y-%m")))))

> But now I have in Summary this line for archive:

> nnfolder+archive:mail-2007-05

> And when I try to select this I cannot see anything: how could correct?

I've been thinking that that is a bug, though I have no idea of
how to fix it so far.  But I can offer a workaround.

1. Close Gnus and Emacs.

2. Make backup files of ~/.newsrc.eld and ~/.newsrc (there might
   not be the later).

3. Start Emacs and Gnus, and read at least one article.

4. Evaluate the following form in the *scratch* buffer (copy
   this form to the *scratch* buffer and type `C-j' at the end
   of the form):

   (assoc "archive" gnus-server-alist)

   Confirm that it returns something like the following:

   ("archive" nnfolder ...)

   If you don't see it (unfortunately), do nothing further.

5. Evaluate the following form in the *scratch* buffer:

   (setcdr (assoc "archive" gnus-server-alist) gnus-message-archive-method)

6. Exit Gnus by typing `q', not `Q', in the group buffer.

Then, the problem has been solved, hasn't it?

The problem is that the server named "archive" in the
`gnus-server-alist' variable, which is saved in the ~/.newsrc.eld
file, does not reflect the value of `gnus-message-archive-method'
being changed by a user.

Regards,