Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:45:39 -0400

levander <levander404@gmail.com> writes:

> I guess I should say how I've got my IMAP server specified in
> my .emacs:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE"
>               (nnimap-address "louis")
>               (nnimap-server-port 143)
>               )))
>
> louis is the name of the machine on the LAN that my IMAP server is on.

That would imply an issue with your IMAP server, then; Gnus has
absolutely no notion at all that, somewhere in the world, there's some
Maildir store that actually has the mail, only that it can talk to an
IMAP server and get a list of folders, articles, etc.

If you're not too attached to your Gnus configuration, you could go to
the dead simple

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "louis"))

at the cost of having to resubscribe to your groups and losing any
metadata stored locally.  But now your groups should be accessible as
"foo" rather than "nnimap+PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE:foo".

If you think you'll use Gnus for other things and want consistency in
your naming, another sensible default setup is

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "louis")
        (nntp "news.example.com")
        (nntp "news.gmane.org")))

which lets you read nnimap+louis:INBOX,
nntp+news.example.com:gnu.emacs.gnus,
nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.user, etc., all with
fully-qualified names.

  --dzm