Spam configuation and bogofilter

From: isoboroff
Subject: Spam configuation and bogofilter
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:15:47 -0000

To quote the Gnus manual, "all those variables, they make my head
swim."

I'm moving to spam.el from ifile-gnus.  For some unknown reason, ifile
was not being run at all, so in a fit of desperation I switched to
bogofilter.  Classification of incoming mail is working fine, but I
don't think my database is being updated when I mark messages as spam.

My setup:

(spam-initialize)
(gnus-registry-initialize)
(setq spam-split-group "mail.spamgate"
      spam-use-spamassassin-headers t
      spam-use-bogofilter t

      gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents
      '(("mail.spamgate" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
        ("mail.spam.expired" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam))
      spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam t
      spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-spam-from-group t
      gnus-ham-process-destinations '(("mail\\..*" "mail.inbox"))
      gnus-spam-process-destinations '(("mail\\..*" "mail.spamgate"))
      spam-log-to-registry t
      gnus-registry-max-entries 4000)

The behavior I want is as follows.  I have two spam groups, 'spamgate'
and 'spam.expired'.  When incoming mail is classified as spam, it is
sent to spamgate where I manually check things periodically.  If its
really spam, I mark it expirable, otherwise I move it to mail.inbox or
wherever it belongs.  Expiry moves the spam eventually to spam.expired
for later archiving or deletion.

When I mark a spam message in my inbox as spam with M-s, it gets the $
mark, and when I exit the group the message is moved to spamgate.  So
far, so good.  However, the timestamp on my bogofilter database
doesn't change, so I suspect that no training has occurred.

If I go to spamgate, and then leave the group without changing the
marks on the moved spam, the messages are moved _again_ to spamgate,
and no training occurs.  If I mark them expirable, then the don't get
moved, but still no training occurs.

Can someone help me sort out my setup?  Please, no group parameters...
I like to keep as much as possible in my .gnus.el so I can see it all
at once and not have to wonder where some option is.  Also no 'custom'
please for the same reason.

Thanks,
Ian