cannot always fetch parent article

From: Ansgar Burchardt
Subject: cannot always fetch parent article
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:21:40 +0200

Hi,

I'm using gnus to read newsgroups, but somehow the ^-command
(gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) doesn't always work.

If the parent is not in the summary buffer the command fails:
  423 No such article number in this group
  No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
But if I then enter the group with C-u <RET> and fetch enough articles
(including the parent) the command works without problems.

I tried setting
  (setq gnus-refer-article-method
        '(current (nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))))
but this had no effect.

I'm using the Debian package for emacs 22.1+1 and the included version
of Gnus.

Any ideas what may cause this problems?

Ansgar