Re: A question about Emacs hightlighting!

From: Daniel C. Bastos
Subject: Re: A question about Emacs hightlighting!
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:24:42 -0400

"Guofu Chen" <gchen@mathworks.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am now using PuTTY in Windows XP to access Linux. Unfortuantely, I can't
> see the syntax hightlighting for C++ source file. I noticed that the PuTTY
> can
> invoke C++ mode for the C++ source file, but I can't see the C++ syntax
> hightlighting.
>
> Any idea? Thanks!

Do you see syntax highlighting in the other modes?

Here I ran M-x info-apropos and gave it ``global-font-lock-mode'' to
search for. Then I found the font lock mode page. It begins

19.7 Font Lock mode
===================

Font Lock mode is a minor mode, always local to a particular buffer,
which highlights (or "fontifies") the buffer contents according to the
syntax of the text you are editing.  It can recognize comments and
strings in most languages; in several languages, it can also recognize
and properly highlight various other important constructs--for example,
names of functions being defined or reserved keywords.  Some special
modes, such as Occur mode and Info mode, have completely specialized
ways of assigning fonts for Font Lock mode.

(...)

Check this info page out which will tell you a lot about this type of
customization; as a quick way to try to get the syntax highlighting, try
M-x global-font-lock-mode. But if C++ is the only one that doesn't
highlight, then we need to find out why not and then tell the GNU emacs
to do it.