Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in a

From: Randy Yates
Subject: Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:33:20 -0400

> No, I don't understand the syntax-completion part.  Please describe
> exactly what you mean.  As `M-x gnus-bug RET' says: "Please describe
> the bug in annoying, painstaking detail."

Well I didn't consider it a bug so I didn't think I needed to make a
bug report.

By syntax-completion, I mean things such as automatic indentation
after a <RET> that occurs when in certain programming language major
modes.

I thought that auto-filling may be part of a general syntax-completion
methodology for the major/minor mode used by gnus for message editing.
Since, as I stated, I don't like any editor I use to insert text
"automagically" for me at any time, I would want this behavior disabled
as well as auto-fill.

> WRT auto-fill, `C-h i d m Message RET' (Message manual), `i auto-fill'
> leads directly to...

> ,----[ (info "(message)Various Message Variables") ]
> | `message-fill-column'
> |      Local value for the column beyond which automatic line-wrapping
> |      should happen for message buffers.  If non-nil (the default), also
> |      turn on auto-fill in message buffers.
> `----
>
>> I guess the development version of gnus pays attention to this while the
>> older version did not.
>
> When upgrading you should always read GNUS-NEWS aka...

Unless someone told me to read it, how would I know?

By the way, is there a PDF of the updated manual for the gnus
development version?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %                    and kiss her interface,