Re: msmtp and multiple smtp servers

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: msmtp and multiple smtp servers
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 20:22:49 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>
>> I tried the solution here:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusMSMTP
>>
>> What happens is that gmail smtp servers replaces my "from" email with
>> the one matching the first authinfo entry for "smtp.gamil.com".So When I
>> send an email using one of a couple of posting styles the recipient sees
>> the "id1@gmail" as the from instead of "id2@gmail" despite the fact that
>> msmtp had the from correctly set as id2@gmail in the .msmtprc file.
>>
>> It is all quite confusing.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> ummm...I wrote the first half of the page, so if you explain what's
> the issue, I could revise the page for the better.  Maybe your Emacs
> config for gnus and msmtprc without the identifying info could be a
> good start.
>
> Before sending the email, try checking the variable
> message-sendmail-extra-arguments to see whether it points to the
> correct alias of msmtprc profiles.
>
>  sivaram
>  --

OK, the problem is narrowed down.

the account is correct. But its not matching the .msmtprc section.
Instead it is dropping through to the default e.g

,----
| account abc
| user abc@gmail.com
| password abc123
|
| account rgr
| user rgr@gmail.com
| password rgr123
|
| account default : rgr
`----

in this case if the "from" is logged using message in the multi-smtp
function then message correctly reports that account "abc" was selected
into variable account. But the actual user & password picked up for the
smtp chat with the gmail servers is that of rgr above : the default
account.

I have latest msmtp 1.4.13.

This then makes me think there is indeed a problem with

(setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments (list "-a" account))

But examining it tells me

message-sendmail-extra-arguments's value is ("-a" "abc")

Is this correct? Has something changed here?

So what else can I do to debug? I am dreading this being something so
obvious with my config file.