Re: Synchronizing multiple computers

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: Synchronizing multiple computers
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:40:13 +0100

David <de_bb@arcor.de> writes:

> Martin Geisler <mg@daimi.au.dk> writes:
>> I normally keep my Gnus running at all times on my work computer.
>> Is it safe to copy files back and forth in that case?
>
> No.

I thought so... :-)

>> As I understand it, Gnus saves its changes in the dribble file
>> which is saved into the .newsrc.eld file at shutdown. I don't
>> shutdown Gnus at work, so will I be able to see the chances in the
>> .newsrc.eld file?
>
> Well, is there a special reason why you would have to keep Gnus
> running at work in the first place? Of course, it also happens to me
> that I simply forget to shut it down, but you can do that remotely
> via ssh using emacsclient.

Well, I guess I'm just lazy :-) -- I like it when Gnus is ready in the
morning without having to login to the IMAP server.

As for shutting it down remotely via emacsclient, does that not
require an Emacs with the multi-tty patch? I'm running Emacs 21.4.1.

And if I login remotely, then I might as well use that Emacs instance
in the first place (except that it might go a little slower) :-)

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.