Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:39:45 +0100

Gour <gour@mail.inet.hr> writes:

Hi Gour,

> Tassilo> Everytime I start Gnus it asks me how to logon at the local
> Tassilo> IMAP server, but instead I want that it uses the username and
> Tassilo> password that are in my ~/.authinfo.
>
> Here is my ~/.authinfo:
>
> machine localhost login gour password xxxxxxxx

Hm, reading your config below I would thing that localhost-IMAP would be
the correct machine name.  Else, how would gnus figure out how to login
on i.e. a local newsserver that uses a different user/password.

> and snippet from .gnus:
>
> (setq mail-sources nil)
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp  "news.gmane.org")
>       gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         '((nnimap "localhost-IMAP" (nnimap-address "localhost"))
>           (nntp "news.iskon.hr")))

No big difference to my config.  I only set the stream/authenticator to
use no encryption, because the tls connection broke down several times.
But even if I use exactly your config (with my name for the method) it
won't logon automatically.  Well, I'll try to edebug it as Reiner
suggested.

> That's all and it works with dovecot server.

Yeah, dovecot here, too.  I never tried running a local IMAP server
because I thought it would be quite complex, but in fact it was easy,
basically: emerge dovecot; edit a few lines in the well commented
dovecot.conf, start the server.

Another question about dovecot: When I used nnmaildir I indexed the
mails with mairix and could do very fast searches with the nnmairix
backend.  Currently I use nnir's imap backend to search on the local
imap server, but that takes ages for huge groups.  Is there a way to
teach dovecot to use a mailindexing tool to speed that up?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
If you were somehow able to land a punch on Chuck Norris your entire arm
would shatter upon  impact. This is only in theory,  since, come on, who