Re: Separate signature files for email and groups

From: Sam Peterson
Subject: Re: Separate signature files for email and groups
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 06:04:00 -0800

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:58:09
+0100 didst step forth and proclaim thus:

> Sam Peterson <skpeterson@nospam.please.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> Hi Sam,
>
>> Hello, I know about gnus-posting-styles, but I'm at a bit of a loss as
>> to how to customize this variable so that it uses a different
>> signature for email messages and newsgroup messages.  I've looked
>> around but haven't had any luck finding a solution.  All advice is
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> You can use something like that:
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       `((".*"
>          (signature-file "~/.my-mail-sig.txt"))
>         ("^nntp"
>          (signature "Foo Bar Baz"))))
>
> This will use the text of the file ~/.my-mail-sig.txt for every posting,
> except it's in a group starting with nntp (= newsgroup).  There it will
> use the string "Foo Bar Baz" as signature.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Actually, I take that back...this *seemed* like it worked, but it
stopped working mysteriously, I think I may have got my wires crossed.
"^nntp" pattern doesn't seem to match any newsgroups unfortunately.

I settled on using a regex of "^nn.+:" for mail groups.  I have to be
in one of my mail groups for it to work but that's okay by me.

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson At nospam ucdavis.edu