multiple Gmail accounts + nnimap + ~/.authinfo

From: Suno Ano
Subject: multiple Gmail accounts + nnimap + ~/.authinfo
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:38:45 +0200

Hi folks,

The versions:
 - GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
   2008-04-07 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 - No Gnus v0.6

I have a problem using the
 - nnimap back end and reading my mails from
 - *multiple* Gmail accounts (I have four Gmail accounts)

,----[ My setup: ]

`----

,----[ My ~/.authinfo: ]
| machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_1>@gmail.com password <first_pw>  port 993
| machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_2>@gmail.com password <second_pw> port 993
| machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_3>@gmail.com password <third_pw>  port 993
| machine imap.gmail.com login <gmail_4>@gmail.com password <fourth_pw> port 993
`----

After starting Gnus, I enter the group buffer, hit B C-k nnimap RET
<gmail_1>@gmail.com. Then I subscribe to the groups like INBOX etc.

I repeat the former step for all four of my Gmail accounts. The problem
is, when I quit Gnus and start it again, all INBOX groups show the
emails from my first Gmail account i.e. <Gmail_1>@gmail.com.

The correct behavior would be that I have four INBOXes -- one for every
Gmail account -- showing their specific emails and not four INBOXes
showing the very same emails (the ones from my first Gmail account i.e.
The first line in ~/.authinfo). Also, I did not subscribe to e.g. Inbox
from my first Gmail account four times since the group name (the one
shown in the Group buffer) is specific to the Gmail account e.g.
:Nnimap+<gmail_3>@gmail.com:INBOX for my third account.

In case I rename my ~/.authinfo so Gnus does not find it on start, I
have to enter the passwords manually but then it works i.e. I get the
correct INBOX, Draft, etc. For a particular Gmail account. So it must be
with my way to authenticate - yes?

Any hints on how others manage to authentication with multiple Gmail
accounts using the nnimap back end is very welcome!

Tia, Suno